I love sweets and when one comes along that I can't put down, I have to pass it along to my friends. Well, this recipe for Peanut Butter Bars definitely falls into that category. I probably gained a pound or two scarfing these things down, but trust me it was worth it!
I hope you find them as irresistible as I did!
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter (475g)
- 10 tablespoons salted butter softened (140g)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed tightly (25g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml)
- 3 1/4 cups powered sugar (405g)
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (115g) OR 2/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Prepare a 9"x9" baking pan by lining with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Mix together peanut butter and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla extract, stir well.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until completely combined.
- Spread peanut butter filling into prepared pan. To make the surface smooth and even, I like to first spread with the a spoon or spatula, and then lay a piece of wax paper over the filling and use my hands to smooth it out (see video for visual).
- Place pan in refrigerator while you prepare your chocolate topping.
- To prepare chocolate topping, combine chocolate pieces or chocolate chips and shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir well, and continue to heat on 15-second increments (stirring well between) until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Remove bars from refrigerator and spread chocolate evenly over the surface.
- Return to refrigerator and chill at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Cut and serve. Keep uneaten bars refrigerated for firmness.
Enter your text here...